Monday, August 18, 2014

ARC Review: Leaving Time

Review: Leaving Time by Jodi Picoult

Publisher: Allen & Unwin Book Publishers, 2014
400 pages, first edition
Source: The ReadingRoom

Synopsis (from Goodreads):

Alice Metcalf was a devoted mother, loving wife and accomplished scientist who studied grief among elephants. Yet it's been a decade sicnce she disappeared under mysterious circumstances, leaving behind her small daughter, husband, and the animals to which she devoted her life. All signs point to abandonment - or worse.

Still Jenna - now thirteen years old and truly orphaned by a father maddened by grief - steadfastly reuses to believe in her mother's desertion. So she decides to approach the two people who might still be able to help her find Alice: a disgraced psychic named Serenity Jones, and Virgil Stanhope, the cynical detective who frist investigated her mother's disappearance and the strange, possibly linked death of one of her WC mother's coworkers.


Together these three lonely souls will discover truths destined to forever change their lives. Deeply moving and suspenseful, Jodi Picoult's 21st novel is a radiant exploration of the enduring love between mothers and daughters.


My Review:
Man I needed a few hours to think about what I was going to rate this fabtastic (fabulous and fantastic) book. So after some thought, I've decided it had to be A (Amazing. Eligible for the honor roll). You might be asking yourself why? For me the deciding factor was the fact that I did not see that twist coming whatsoever. I was an absolute sucker for this books thrillers, mysteries, but pretty much any book that come across like that. This book has a twist at the end. But majority of the time, I have the ending sussed. I'm pretty much the same way with movies and TV shows. For whatever reason, and maybe I've got psychic abilities like Serenity Jones (hahaha just jokes), I just know what is going to happen, and more often then not, it almost takes the excitement out of it for me.


But this time round...I was STUNNED. I was trying to figure it out. What the heck happened to Alice? But every scenario I played out in my own hear didn't seem plausible, and not to mention, didn't seem like an ending Jodi would write. She got me this time though. I am in such a book hangover that I can't even look at another book, but I have more books that need to be reviewed. I feel like Im cheating on all the character in this book even the elephants and everyone in between. How I will miss Serenity and Virgil's arguments and learning about elephants and seeing them through Alice's eyes. I'l miss Jenna's not-so-innocence and quirkiness.

I think I may have to revisit this novel in October. I cannot wait for the world to read it and fingers crossed you are amazed as I am right now!!!! 

My Rating:

No comments :

Post a Comment